Thursday, December 6, 2012


I wouldn’t consider myself very physically affectionate. I like to hug and kiss family and close friends, but I’m not the kind of person who’s going to kiss you hello or goodbye or give you a huge hug five minutes after we’ve met. However, I’m starting to rethink this practice after 3 months of living in Palestine. Men hold hands or link arms while walking down the street (unlike in the States, this does not indicate a romantic relationship) and women may kiss a friend they haven’t seen in a while or one they just saw the day before.

Last week, I had a great day hanging out with a colleague: she invited me to her house for lunch and even took me out for nargileh afterwards. We talked for a long time. She was so warm and such a good listener; I can tell she is going to be one of my allies. So yesterday was the faculty meeting and I hadn’t seen my friend all week. I walked up to her while she was speaking to another colleague, said hello and gave her a quick pat on the back. But then she gave me a kind of strange look and there was an awkward couple of seconds that I couldn’t put my finger on. Later, I realized “Duh, she was expecting you to give her a kiss on the cheek!”

And now I feel like Jerry Seinfeld perseverating on something very banal: What should I do next time? Should I go in for the hug or will she be expecting a kiss on the cheek? Can I ever do the back rub/pat again or is that completely off the table?

Maybe living here will have me giving out hugs and kisses more liberally. Or maybe it won’t. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment